Monday, July 26, 2010

week 67: phase 2: interior painting done!

Leo the painter of C++ Construction and German his assistant spent a couple days prepping then applying two coats of no VOC paint on the ceilings and walls of the two bedrooms, hall and bath. They reassembled all the cabinets and doors and hardware. The last day they removed all the tarps, paper and plastic and cleaning. The rooms and cabinets were spotless when they left. Their work, effort, care and cleanliness cannot be beat and are truly appreciated. Thanks Leo & German! We’ll see them in a few weeks after the floor tile is done in the bath as the walls will need to be touched up. In the meantime, we are currently refitting and looking for some of the window, door and cabinetry hardware. We’ll post another round of after photos when the new armoire from Falcon Designs arrives next month.

Tune in next time for tile prep of the bath floor!

Saturday, July 3, 2010

weeks 61-66: phase 2: interior paint prep & some phase 1 items

Leo the painter of C++ Construction stopped by to test if we had lead paint. It was more of a formality, as we all were fairly certain of the presence of lead. He and German took one week to remove the two layers of wallpaper and paint, and skim two coats of mudset on the original plaster walls in the baby’s room. The second week, Leo & German prepped the walls and trim of the two bedrooms and hall. It seems like the work is taking longer than usual, but Leo insists in making the area safe for us and his workers. Although this is now mandated by code, not all companies are certified to do lead paint abatement or sincerely care to take the necessary precautions. We truly appreciate the level of attention Leo has with this toxic substance.

Yuri the tile setter of Art Touch Construction also stopped by to measure and calculate how much tile was needed. I then promptly ordered the tile from Pratt & Larson, a local tile artisan. The tile work will need to wait until next month as the tile has a 6 week lead time. I forgot that this tile is made to order. Drats! Below are the before shots of the worn tile. We were on the fence about replacing it at this time. When we realized that we would not have another opportunity to do so for the next six years, we decided to pull the trigger.

Dana the finish carpenter of Guillory Construction spent a day finishing up some of the Phase 1 items. He installed the elbow catch at the kitchen cabs and changed out a broken pane in the casement. He also completed the easier Phase 2 tasks of installing picture rail in the baby’s room, truing the cabinet doors and drawers in the existing hallway built-ins and planing the door to the baby’s room so that it fit better. He’ll return to do more finish carpentry in a bit.

Aaron of Portland Metro Electric also swung by to complete the last of the Phase 1 work. He inverted an outlet in the laundry room so that the irrigation plug could more easily be hidden as well as installed a larger light in the master bedroom closet. Now, there’s only painting left in Phase 1. I think Phase 2 may be completed before Phase 1. The race is on!

I dropped off the bathroom vent grate at Bliss Restoration for powder coating. It should be done in a couple of weeks. It would look very grungy next to the newfloor tile had we left it in its worn condition. I am looking forward to having it look brand new.

The county appraiser stopped by to reassess the property. He was surprised that work was still going on. As I was just on my way out the door, I could not let him in, but he was able to assess the home from the exterior. He also remeasured the porch and deck, even though we only had cosemtic work done on them. The paperwork should be done in the next couple of months, and we should be paying our new taxes by next quarter.

Tune in next time for the completed interior paint!